Socialization is important, and it’s especially important that it be done right. My key concern with socialization is that I am my dog’s advocate: I never force my puppy to do anything and they get to choose if or how they interact with the thing/person. This grows confidence organically and teaches them to think rather than react.
My favorites are the articles “Socialization” and “Fear: Just a Little Closer” by Denise Fenzi, the article “Rethinking Puppy Socialization” by Lisa Mullinax, and the free webinar “Socializing Your Puppy Right” by Ariana Kincaid.
- Free Webinar: Growing Up Canine – Dog Social & Psychological Development (Gail Fisher)
- Operation Socialization: lots of info and help finding a good puppy trainer
- Growing Up FDSA (free ebook from Fenzi Dog Sports Academy)
- Development Stacks Just Like Building Blocks (Nancy Tanner)
- How to Socialize Your Puppy (Aidan Bindoff)
- Don’t Socialize the Dog! (Laura VanArendonk Baugh, CPDT, KPA-CTP)
- What to Expect: Introducing Your Puppy to Your Adult Dogs (Laurie Luck, KPA-CTP): this is applicable to all dogs
- My Number One Rule for My Puppy (Nancy Tanner)
- How to Raise Successful Kids — Without Over-Parenting (TED): very applicable to raising puppies
- Socializing Your Puppy: Why Later is Too Late (Dr. Jen Summerfield, DVM)
- Puppy Kindergarten vs Obedience Class: What’s the Difference? (Dr. Jen Summerfield, DVM)
- The Dark Side of Socialization: Fear Periods & Single-Event Learning (Dr. Jen Summerfield, DVM)
- Playing with Your Puppy (Denise Fenzi): this is super long but full of great guidance! This is how I play with my dogs and it’s a great relationship builder.
- He Just Wants to Say Hi (Suzanne Clothier)
- Go Say Hi 1-2-3 for Dog-Dog Introductions (Suzanne Clothier)
- When to Intervene in Dog-Dog Interactions (Dr. Patricia McConnell, PhD)
- How Do I Train Proper Doggy Play Skills Faster? (Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM)
- Five Tips for Avoiding a Behaviorist (Kathy Sdao)
- Good Manners for Dogs & People in Off-Leash Parks (Kathy Sdao): I don’t recommend dog parks, especially not for puppies, but am including this in case you elect to use them.
- Meeting the World (Eileen Anderson)
- Suddenly Spooked — The Secondary Fear Phase in Adolescent Dogs (Dr. Laura McAuliffe, PhD)
- Raising a Star (Sarah Stremming)
- Look at That! Making the Trigger the Target (Laura VanArendonk Baugh, CPDT, KPA-CTP)
- Mark & Move: Survival Skills for Real Life (Grisha Stewart, CPDT-KA, KPA-CTP)
- Empowered Puppy Raising Course (Grisha Stewart, CPDT-KA, KPA-CTP); full disclosure that I haven’t vetted this course but I love Grisha’s work so I have faith that it’s awesome