Socialization is important, and it’s especially important that it be done right. My key concern with socialization is that I am my dog’s advocate: I never force my puppy to do anything and they get to choose if or how they interact with the thing/person. This grows confidence organically and teaches them to think rather than react.
My favorites are the articles “Socialization” and “Fear: Just a Little Closer” by Denise Fenzi, “Rethinking Puppy Socialization” by Lisa Mullinax, “We Need to Stop Calling it ‘Socialization'” by Amy Cook, and the free webinar “Socializing Your Puppy Right” by Ariana Kincaid.
- Free Webinar: Growing Up Canine – Dog Social & Psychological Development (Gail Fisher)
- Operation Socialization: lots of info and help finding a good puppy trainer
- Growing Up FDSA (free ebook from Fenzi Dog Sports Academy)
- Development Stacks Just Like Building Blocks (Nancy Tanner)
- How to Socialize Your Puppy (Aidan Bindoff)
- Don’t Socialize the Dog! (Laura VanArendonk Baugh, CPDT, KPA-CTP)
- What to Expect: Introducing Your Puppy to Your Adult Dogs (Laurie Luck, KPA-CTP): this is applicable to all dogs
- My Number One Rule for My Puppy (Nancy Tanner)
- How to Raise Successful Kids — Without Over-Parenting (TED): very applicable to raising puppies
- Socializing Your Puppy: Why Later is Too Late (Dr. Jen Summerfield, DVM)
- Puppy Kindergarten vs Obedience Class: What’s the Difference? (Dr. Jen Summerfield, DVM)
- The Dark Side of Socialization: Fear Periods & Single-Event Learning (Dr. Jen Summerfield, DVM)
- Playing with Your Puppy (Denise Fenzi): this is super long but full of great guidance! This is how I play with my dogs and it’s a great relationship builder.
- He Just Wants to Say Hi (Suzanne Clothier)
- Go Say Hi 1-2-3 for Dog-Dog Introductions (Suzanne Clothier)
- When to Intervene in Dog-Dog Interactions (Dr. Patricia McConnell, PhD)
- How Do I Train Proper Doggy Play Skills Faster? (Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM)
- Five Tips for Avoiding a Behaviorist (Kathy Sdao)
- Good Manners for Dogs & People in Off-Leash Parks (Kathy Sdao): I don’t recommend dog parks, especially not for puppies, but am including this in case you elect to use them.
- Meeting the World (Eileen Anderson)
- Suddenly Spooked — The Secondary Fear Phase in Adolescent Dogs (Dr. Laura McAuliffe, PhD)
- Raising a Star (Sarah Stremming)
- Look at That! Making the Trigger the Target (Laura VanArendonk Baugh, CPDT, KPA-CTP)
- Mark & Move: Survival Skills for Real Life (Grisha Stewart, CPDT-KA, KPA-CTP)
- Empowered Puppy Raising Course (Grisha Stewart, CPDT-KA, KPA-CTP); full disclosure that I haven’t vetted this course but I love Grisha’s work so I have faith that it’s awesome